Wednesday, August 26, 2009

WECIPE WEDNEDAY

It's that time again. And I am still cooking so here goes.......

Pesto Chicken Sandwiches: I kind of copied the recipe from Red Robin. I couldn't find the ingredients on their online menu so here is what I came up with. Everyone in the family, twins included, loved it.

Ingredients:

chicken breasts (enough for about 3/4 breast per sandwich)
Ciabatta sandwich bread from Costco
Pesto sauce*
white cheese of choice (I used Havarti)
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
diced tomatoes


Marinate some chicken breasts in a creamy-type Italian dressing. I used Vidalia Onion (jug from Sam's) In my family we usually use Benensteins Cheese and Garlic dressing but it is getting so dang expensive and the bottles are shrinking so it isn't the best way to go for a marinade that you discard anyway. Marinate them for however long works for your schedule. I just pour some over the frozen chicken and leave it in the fridge all day.

Grill chicken breasts til done. Let sit. Meanwhile, cut ciabatta bread in half. Spread both halves with Pesto sauce. Top both halves with a little Parmesan cheese. Broil in oven til lightly browned. Slice chicken breasts into strips (or leave whole if desired). Pile chicken on 1/2 of each sandwich. Top with a slice of Havarti (or Munster or Provolone) cheese. Broil again just til cheese is melted. Top other half of bread with diced tomatoes that have been lightly salted with Kosher salt. Put both halves together to form sandwiches. I served it with a green salad and fruit.

*We got the stomach flu once after Pesto so we are working up to being able to eat it again. When we do, it is in very small portions and is a hidden ingredient. (No more Pesto pasta). So buying the jar at Costco does not work for us. It would be wasteful. What I have done for the past two years is make my own and freeze it in very small containers (or use an ice cube tray). I grow a big old gargantuan basil plant in the backyard each summer (alas, I forgot this year!). At the end of the summer, pick it all and make Pesto! Any recipe works fine. They are all the same online. Basic ingredients are basil, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan cheese. Here is a recipe from the internet: I like the ice cube method. They say not to put the cheese in if you are going to freeze it, but I put the cheese in anyway. I think it freezes fine!

Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Special equipment needed: A food processor

Method

1 Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

2 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Makes 1 cup.

Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Oooooh yum~ I need to try this...I have a basil plant (first time ever) and should be making pesto soon...